Size: 128.40 Km?
Population: Approx. 20,000
Residents known as: Coine?os
Monuments: Church of Santa Mar?a de la Encarnaci?n, Church of San Juan, Old Hospital de la Caridad, Torre de los Trinitarios..
Geographical situation: In the northern area of the Alpujata Mountians, 38 kilometres from Malaga, at 435 metres above sea level.
Tourist information: Town Hall, Plaza Alameda, 10. 29100.
Phone: 952 453 018 Fax: 952 453 284
Tourist office: Plaza Santa Mar?a, Convento Santa Mar?a de la Encarnaci?n. Telephone and fax: 952 453 211.

The coastal mountains meet the Guadalhorce Valley between the cork oak and pine woods of Alpujata de Co?n. According to archaeological finds made in the Cerro del Aljibe area of Co?n, people have lived here since the first century B.C. Tombs and ceramic pieces found in the Llano de la Virgen area show evidence of a medieval settlement in the area, although we know the Romans stopped off here too. They named the place Lacib-is, later changing it to La Cobbin and finally setting on Castro Dacuan. From this last name, it is thought, the name Cohine derives. The name Castro, nevertheless, makes us think of some social structure or base of what is now Co?n. It was the Moors who began to build the town that now stands, making it one of the most important in the region. Abderraman III raised the defensive walls over the remains of the ancient Roman settlement. The Moroccan traveller Ibn Batuta llam? called Co?n (Dacuan) "a beautiful castle with many trees and fruit groves," while Al Jatib heaped great praise on the town. Co?n achieved a high level of economic well-being, due in no small part to the commercial talent of the Jews, who traded successfully in wine, olive oil, figs, raisins and almonds.
The Villa was conquered by the Catholic Monarchs following some skirmishes in which Captain Pedro Ruiz de Alarc?n lost his life in an incursion into a fortress, and seeing that he was on the point of dying, exclaimed: "I did not come in fighting in order to flee from the fight." King Fernando the Cat?lico ordered more artillery to be brought in, and Co?n was left in ruins after the siege. Settlers were planted from outside by the Catholic Monarchs, and the economy of the town once again prospered. November 10th,1810, was a day to remember in Co?n. On that day a violent storm inundated the town and destroyed many houses. The town was awarded the title of Ciudad (city, although not in the English sense of the word) in 1930 by King Alfonso XIII.

Casa Paco. International cuisine. Urb. El Rodeo. Tel: 952 450 349.
La Jarra. Fish and seafood. Urb. El Rodeo. Tel: 952 452 016.
Piccola Roma. Pizzas and meats. Urb. El Rodeo. Tel: 952 453 506.
Hermanos Maza. Fish and meat. Urb. El Rodeo. Tel: 952 453 842.
Bohemia. Traditional cooking. Cruce de Co?n, Alhaur?n and C?rtama. Tel: 952 450 545
Restaurante El Palomar. Urb.Miravalle-Los Llanos. Tel: 952 455 203 Fax: 952 455 219.
Venta Hermano Hevilla. Ctra. Co?n-Ronda, Km 3. Tel: 952 452 231.
Santa Fe. Ctra. de Marbella, Km, 3. Tel: 952 452 916 .
Venta Pedro Lucena. Specialising in rabbit, paella and meat. Ctra. Co?n- Alh. El Grande, Km, 3. Tel: 952 451 843.
Venta Platero. Ctra. Co?n-C?rtama. Tel: 952 452 934.
La Cruz de Piedra. Ctra. Co?n-Monda, Km. 1. Tel: 952 452 178.

Hotel Santa Fe. Ctra. de Marbella, Km, 3. Tel: 952 452 916.
Pensi?n Hostal Co?n. C/Doctor Palomo y Anaya, 36. Tel: 952 451 122.
Ruralcibis. Trekking and accommodation. Tel: 610 384 054.
Hotel Ciudad del Cine. Tel: 952 455 446.
Hotel El Palomar. Urb.Miravalle-Los Llanos. Tel: 952 455 203 Fax: 952 455 219.
Rural accommodation. Association of Rural Tourism Co?n-Guadalhorce. Telephone and fax: 952 452 811.


The most important festival in Co?n is the D?a de la Cruz, the Day of the Cross, which takes place in May. The Romer?a at the Shrine to Ntra. Sra. de la Fuensanta takes place on the first Sunday of June, and in August there is the feria, whose origins go back to the 18th century. In 1765, Carlos III granted the town "the grace of having four days of feria, counting from August 10th to August 14th, inclusive." The feria he referred to, of course, was more of a trade fair than a holiday period at that time.

The gastronomy of Co?n is based mainly on soups, broths and stews, made with the produce from the local market gardens. In summer, the principal soup eaten is cold gazpacho. The town is well known for its pastries, with raisins in aguardiente liqueur and fig bread being local specialities too. In the area of craftwork, ceramics is an important craft in Co?n, as is ironwork, woodwork, wickerwork, mat and chair making and stonemasonry.

THE LEGEND OF LA FUENSANTA
In 1487, we are told, the Virgen de la Fuensanta appeared to a goatherd just outside the town. As a result, the local people began to build a shrine on the spot in 1544, finishing the single nave in 1620 and the entire structure in 1680. The 11 centimetres-high image of the Virgin dates from the 15th century, and is said to have been brought here by some knights that took part in the conquest of Co?n. A Romer?a is held here on the first Sunday of June every year.
 
Find property in the Coin area , Click Here
 

 

 



Villages of
The Axarquia